It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2018 Week 20

This post prepared for “It's Monday! What Are You Reading?” hosted by Book Date

WEEK 20

Books I Expect (Hope) to Finish This Week


The Twelve-Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson
Only a few chapters into this book and already it is heart-breaking. It is a powerful reminder of the African-American experience half a century after the end of the Civil War. 1930’s Georgia is a difficult place for African-Americans and women, and intensely difficult for African-American women. Before starting the book, my concern was that the violence and suffering of the characters would overwhelm my ability to enjoy reading; pleased to report that this is not the case and I am eager to finish the story. The library due date is tomorrow and there are five other people on hold, so there is even more incentive to read it now!

Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

I borrowed this from the library on an impulse, my reading list for this month is already a huge challenge. But it was in the irresistible new books bin! I heard so much positive buzz about it and short stories are so tempting because they fit into even the most hectic schedule.




Books I Expect (Hope) to Make a Serious Dent in This Week



Battleborn by Claire Vaye Watkins
I am still slowly working my way through this collection. The stories are raw, the prose is sharp, and the characters are so flawed. It is great. Here is a very helpful review at Reading the Short Stories. Sometimes I need an expert (but not a professional review) to explain what I just read, to help me digest and absorb the story. I am purposefully taking this slowly, but I hope to be halfway through by the end of the week.

My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsberg with Mary Harnett and Wendy W. Williams

Finishing Notorious RBG last week was a treat. Now I am ready to dive deeper and read the collection of speeches and writings of Justice Ginsburg, as assembled and curated by her authorized biographers. 


Books I Would Be Thrilled to Start This Week

The Last Equation of Issac Severy: a Novel in Clues by Nova Jacobs
This debut title first came to my attention as a Book of the Month choice. Although I love police and legal procedural television shows, I never read mysteries. But since 2018 is My Year of Reading, I am ready to break into the mystery genre. Looking forward to solving this equation!

The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
This was on my library eBook holds for so long that I forgot the premise of the book! I saw the paperback at Costco earlier this week, which made me wonder if I should just buy a copy and throw it on my TBR pile. I decided to save a few dollars and read the library copy first. Finally my turn to read this book, which I gather involves a trip to the Essex seaside, monsters, and a cozy story.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

In general, generational family drama is not my fiction wheelhouse. But the buzz is so strong and the cover so beautiful! Surely that means I will love getting lost in this trip to Asia. 








Looking forward to reading this week!

Comments