It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This post prepared for “It's Monday! What Are You Reading?” hosted by Book Date

Books I Expect (Hope) to Finish This Week


The Legend of Shadow High by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale
This is a book I’m reading with my daughter, we have maybe 30-40 pages to go. It is difficult to finish books together because she has her own TBR pile that she works through during the week, to finish her 20 minutes a day reading assignments. If we read together, it is usually on the weekends, and lately those have been busy. But we are both excited to finish this book. Shannon Hale is an excellent and fun writer, especially for the 6-10-year-old crowd.

Notorious RBG by Irin Cameron and Shana Knizhnik
Ah, what can I say that has not already been said about the wonder that is RBG? As a female lawyer, I feel deeply indebted to the work that RBG has pioneered, all the struggles she bravely worked through, so that I could work in a world that welcomes female attorneys. (Welcome might still be a strong word, but we have it easy compared to women in the past.) I am about 100 pages into this book and it is absolutely delightful. It might be a little niche (female lawyers!) but likely a fun read for many others too.


Books I Expect (Hope) to Make a Serious Dent in This Week


Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly
I will admit that this book entered by TBR because the author is a female POC, part-Filipina. Also, I am desperate to read as much middle grade as I can so that learn the lay of the land as my daughter is finally ready to read serious middle grade titles. Looking forward to building a summer reading pile for us to attack together.

The Twelve-Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson
I am not entirely sure that I have the emotional strength to read about rape, lynching, and the cruelty that is a reality for many people. But I feel irresponsible for not trying to read about the darker aspects of our human existence. I hope this will increase my courage to take on many other titles that I want to read, but sound overwhelming.

Battleborn by Claire Vaye Watkins
Our library system had only two copies of this book, so I am glad to have checked-out one of those two books. Earlier last month I purchased the eBook, Gold Fame Citrus, because it (1) was on sale for $1.99 and (2) seemed like a good companion to Station Eleven (speculative fiction, dystopian, and literary fiction.) Battleborn is a short story collection by the author of Gold Fame Citrus, set in the American West. Because it is a library book, I will read Battleborn and then move into Gold Fame Citrus, hopefully all before the book is due at the end of the month.


Books I Would Be Thrilled to Start This Week


Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado











Looking forward to reading this week!

Comments

  1. Hello Universe is still sitting on my TBR shelf in my bedroom. Sigh. What am I reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new reads! Have a great week, happy reading!

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Hello Universe and Her Body and Other Parties on my TBR list, so hopefully we both like them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Universe is still sitting on my TBR shelf next to my bed. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment